Monday, June 18, 2007

Wednesday June 18



Nothing important

I am listening in to
sad melodies on the radio
no other music will appeal
to me during my mourning

These classic melodies by
great masters are matched
to my thoughts, something
like lost paradise, the
loss of my father, and my other
many disappointments, -

I am not yet old, and oh God
what I have been trough. (sic)

Vanished dreams, etc.
Does the future hold a little happiness
in store for me?

-----------------

Matt's Notes



I don't know if the words "lost paradise" are a direct reference to "Paradise Lost," but I think it's appropriate here. Despite all he has been through to this point, including his emigration from Eastern Europe at 18 and the struggles he went through to establish a life in New York, Papa sustained himself in part by believing he would one day return to "Paradise" -- that is, he would reunite with his family and recapture some of the carefree sense of belonging he once enjoyed. The death of his father put an end to that illusion.

Still, when he asks if the future holds a little happiness for him, I can answer with this picture of his own "Heaven on Earth," or Paradise found:



And Papa, this is you:



My own version of Paradise lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment